Monday 27 February 2012

The Local - Toronto styles

(photo torontopubs.wordpress.com)

Because my last post was about London locals, and I happened to skip into a lovely little pub in Roncesvalles last night called The Local, I had to share with you that proper locals - chilled out, lots of character, friendly bartenders, not fancy just people sitting around drinking a pint - are available in Toronto. It's just that the crucial element of the local is actually being a hop skip away from where you live.
For my Roncey matey, this is true (and The Local really is lovely, read this review http://torontopubs.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/the-local/ to get some more info). But for me, my nearest watering hole is 1km away (there are a few options at that distance), and that's just too far for a local in my opinion. In comparison, the 3 flats I lived in in London had great locals at 88 metres, 65 metres, and 102 metres.  It's not because I live in the sticks or in some bizarro industrial area. For confirmation, within a hundred metres of my flat in Toronto there's a corner store, 2 coffee places, a bank, 4 restaurants, 2 yoga centres and a smattering of shops. There are 3 groceries stores within 2 blocks of me. And yet no local pub. It's just a different kind of life here. If you happen to live close to a local pub and you're in TO, consider yourself lucky. If you aren't, check out The Local in Roncesvalles and their amazing Freddie Mercury portrait. 

1 comment:

  1. Im excited to compare this with the FF, or of course the wonderful Aqua... ahem.

    ReplyDelete